05/02/2011

The New Stratos

Ok guys, I know I'm a bit late writing about stuff that everyone already knows, but I genuinely forgot about it. I've actually read a massive feature that Classic and Sports Car magazine did on it ages ago. I won't talk about specs here, you all know your technical stuff and it's on the official website anyway. I'll tell you what I think in terms of design/bodywork.


Now let me honestly tell you, Lancia Stratos is my favourite Lancia (sports Lancia, obviously, because nothing tops Aurelia and you can't compare the two). In fact, Stratos Zero is so far the ultimate concept car for me in terms of design.

I must tell you, I am not overly convinced with this new reincarnation. I mean, I do admire people for having a go at something in order to bring it back and revive the true Lancia brand, however I just can't seem to fall in love with this particular car. First of all, I don't think it should have been made in black. Black isn't the colour for a sports car (ever thought why Ferraris are all red?) To quote my dad, "every red is a racing red in Italy, like every blue is a racing blue in France and green in this country". Racing black anyone? Nope, didn't think so either. Second, the lights. Ok, I'm clued up on legality and all, but the shape of the front lights? Stratos has round lights. Round. Why have the designers completely disregarded this fact? Why? Porsche 911 lights looks more like Stratos than this black creation. I understand that you can't replicate the whole idea, but the front lights on the new version look too simplistic. Boring. Plain. Just-like-any-other-car. Why would you downgrade something so unique and recognizable? Take the badge off the new Stratos, and we can play guess the car. Ok, lets have a look at the back.

Ok, can't say much, they've kept the standards pretty much, although again, what is going on with the exhaust here? I'm afraid it reminds me of Barry Boys too much, so I won't comment further. In fact, I won't comment anymore on it. However, I'd like to say that everyone else who is into Lancias and who I know seem to like the new Stratos quite a lot. And as I've mentioned before, I am all for supporting anything that attracts attention to the true Lancia brand (ie, I'm certainly not into Chrysler stuff, makes me shiver!), so long live the Stratos.

You can check all about the new Stratos HERE.

1 comment:

  1. All valid comments, but any view on aesthetics is subjective. As is mine below:
    Black is the default colour for an aggressive look on a car. I conceed that the car may be better suited to other colours (deep Lancia blue for one, or ice white if we're being utterly contemporary), but black isn't so wrong at the end of the day in my opinion. Sadly they aren't going to build another example (correct at time of going to press) so I cannot put my money where my mouth is :)
    The front lights... round? Hmmm... possibly, but I only ever picture the stratos with a clean wedge front (lights down) or alternatively with the extra four headlights inbetween during night stages. I like the understated shape they have opted for, but it's the rather featureless bonnet that makes the space between the lights look unresolved. A near-invisible crease is all.

    But on the whole the design works very well and the press and public love it. My ultimate dream is to have an ex-works Stratos... my favourite car. If I had money, but couldn't find one, I think I'd be content with this Stratos as a 'next best thing'. Wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete